February 10th- My very first NYC Blizzard. I honestly didn't know what to expect when they were saying "blizzard" b/c the only blizzard i have really encountered was the blizzard of '93 in Birmingham. I expected people to stock up on milk, bread, the essentials...just like the south does when the meteorologist states weather conditions anything beyond normal. Nope, not here. I didn't even know how transportation would work or if it would work...although i am underground but the trains come in from above (from what i believe). Not to mention work, all they said was if NY stated an emergency that is the only time we are to not go in....which never happened. So i took my little happy self on to work in the fastest falling snow i have ever seen. I will have to say all i heard on my walk to the subway was slush, slush, slush...more icy water than anything and a very disgusting sound i might add. Anyway, we got notice at 1:30 that we were allowed to leave so we could all get home safely. I heard from multiple people that this hasn't happened in quite some time. Here are some pics of Blizzard round1. Everything was so white, it was definitely something i have never seen.

You may have stop signs, stop lights, slow down, dangerous curve ahead all on your way to work but this is what i got in the winter! ha
Then came Valentine's day, which was a wonderful long weekend. Dan and I went up to New Hampshire to go skiing. I hadn't skied in so long that i was a bit nervous getting back into it...needless to say i think Dan was worried about my skiing ability as well. We geared up and after about the first run he was thankful that i truly am good enough to keep up with him, i believe he even mentioned that i was a better skier (he may eat those words). So mom and dad, it looks like all of your well earned dollars you invested into my ski lessons paid off. By the way, thank you for that b/c now I am "better" than Dan in an active sport. ha I was thrilled not only to go skiing but to ski in the North. I was curious to find out the differences since i have only skied in Colorado....New Hampshire was definitely no Colorado. Man is it a lot colder, and as you can see in the pics we had a very snowy ski day which didn't help the cold air. The best way for me to describe it is by stating that i had to put in multiple hand and foot warmers...and only for a day of skiing. Dad, of all people you would understand that statement coming from me since you always had to have spare ones on you for me, tuck in my mittens inside my jacket (so the cold air wouldn't go up my coat) and help me resist going into every single warming hut. Although it started as a cold, snowy, white sky day the sun started to come out and it ended up being a wonderful time. Here are a few pictures from that trip.
On to St. Patty's day...the rain tried to wash away st patty's this year but nope we wouldn't let it get to us b/c we just took our party inside. Okay, well not so much a party but a very fun, very Irish concert. Yep, we went to The dropkicks. My very first drop kick show...was everything i thought it would be and more. I didn't know the songs but i was just happy to be able to experience all the Irish that was in that room. All thanks to sweet Dan b/c he stood out in the rain for at least an hour to get us tickets. =)
Mom came to visit a couple weeks back, we had the best time. We ate, walked the town, shopped, ate, and ate....oh did i mention we ate? So you get the jist. Mom treated me to a wonderful weekend and filled with fantastic food. We of course did Da Silvano (staple for us, right mom?), Pastis, Bubby's for brunch and then topped it off with The Spice Market. MMMMM...delicious! It was wonderful to see my mom's beautiful and caring face. I have missed my family so much over the past few months and soaked up mom's visit as much as i could and counting down the days where i get to see her and dad again. Of course my siblings too...I have to say I'm very thankful that i have the connections with them that i do and i DON'T take that for granted, in fact i call them my best friends b/c they are and i am most positive that most people i know who have asked me about my family i always state that we are such an amazing close family and that i love the relationships that i have with all of my family members. Especially my mom and I's relationship. Isn't it funny when you're little you try to keep your life your life and not telling your mom everything so it feels like your life....but now i can't keep anything from her and i love that! She's grown to be my best friend and so much that i can't go shopping without thinking...wait what does mom think? Okay so now I'm rambling... but you get the point, Mom and I had a great time and i couldn't be who i am today without my family! So thank you to all of you!
I promise to keep you updated more often things just got a little out of hand lately and have intended to write but just hadn't had a minute to put it all together.
Just for fun here are some pics of NY





No comments:
Post a Comment